Today I have yet another exciting product to share with you! It is the most sought after eyeshadow palette for Holiday 2013 from Chanel called Ombres Matelassées which is part of the Nuit Infinie de Chanel collection. The shade name of the palette is Charming which I think is very fitting to the lovely colors inside. This post will be photo-heavy, so please be patient while the page is loading. Now, let's dive in! :)
I pre-ordered mine from Nordstrom almost 2 weeks ago and I have to tell you, the wait and the anticipation was almost unbearable! Good thing I didn't have to wait long since the palette arrived shortly after. :) This is my first eyeshadow palette from Chanel and wow, it literally blew me away in terms of the shadow quality and pigmentation!
The palette has a signature Chanel packaging – shiny black (that collects fingerprints like anything!) with Chanel's interlocking “C”s logo in the center. The palette is surprisingly quite small but it is perfect for travel or keeping in your small makeup bag. It comes with a protective black velvet pouch as well to keep the palette from scratches (but the pouch itself collects dust like crazy!). Inside is a good-sized mirror and there is a plastic cover on top of the eyeshadows to protect them from damage. There are 2 small double-ended applicators included; one has a sponge tip on both ends and the other a sponge tip on one end and a brush on the other (the brush is of natural hair that is quite soft).
There are 5 shades of warm neutral colors in this palette. All of them has this gorgeous quilted pattern motif embossed on the surface that I think adds a nice touch. There is no specific shade name indicated for each color so for this review, I'm going to name them Shade #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 starting from left to right.
These eyeshadows are silky and creamy to the touch. They are so finely-milled and so soft that I think some people will find them to be a bit powdery. But for me personally, the easy fix is to simply tap off the excess powder from the brush lightly and that should minimize the fallout. I find all the shades to blend really nicely and the wear time is excellent. Over an eye primer, they last the entire day without any sign of fading, transferring, or creasing on my lids.
- Shade #1 is a light beige with a pearlescent finish. It's a shade lighter than my skin tone and I like to apply it all over the lid as a base color as well as under the brow bone as a highlight. It's wise to prime your lid with a light shade like this first to help with the blending of darker shades that you'll be adding on top.
- Shade #2 is a medium tan with a matte finish. I like to use it in the crease area but it works as an all-over lid or a transition color as well.
- Shade #3 is a bronze khaki with a shimmery finish. This is my favorite shade of the lot. It is so beautiful and I think it'd compliment any eye color and complexion. This shade can be used as a wash of color or you can apply just a touch of it in the center of the lid to add sparkles to your eyes.
- Shade #4 is a dark brown with a pearlescent finish. It looks great in the outer corners to add dimension to your eyes or you can apply it all over the lid for a more dramatic smokey eye look.
- Shade #5 is a dark grey with a strong hint of purple. It looks steel grey in the pan but really swatched to a dark purple. This is a another matte shade that I like to use to line my lash line as well as to define the outer corners.
The overall tone of the colors may look to be on the neutral side, but with such a variety of finishes and the range of colors from light to dark, there are so many eye makeup looks you can create with this palette! Go easy with the lighter shades for office-appropriate, or use darker shades on the far right for a sultry smokey/night out – the possibilities are quite endless!
Swatches – All Shades
All in all, I really am truly in love, head over heels with this palette! It is everything I thought it would be and expected from Chanel. I am proud to say that it is officially one of my most favorites neutral eye palettes and I also think it is a must-have for anyone who loves neutral eyes. The colors are so beautiful and easy to wear. I think I'll be reaching for this palette the most this coming holiday. :)